Does the Bible have anything to say about modern-day science? You bet.
You may find this letter I wrote to an acquaintance of interest. Please pass it on.
You raised an interesting point recently when
we were talking about life issues. You said that you believe in God and parts of the Bible.
I hope we agree that there is but one
God. I think that makes sense. It doesn't compute that there can be many deities.
If there is a wide-awake God, doesn't it make
sense that He would not allow us to have a flawed manual, the Bible? If the
Scriptures are only partially valid, God has a strange sense of humor.
Can the Bible, which claims to be the Word of
God (written by 40 men most of whom never met one another, but were inspired by God), be proven? Yes.
Apart from being the all-time best seller, the
Bible serves up over 300 Old Testament prophecies, all of which were
fulfilled by Jesus of Nazareth.
In addition, the Bible mentions a great deal
of science, later "discovered" by man/women centuries later. I want
to list some of these below.
1. Genesis 1:16. The sun is
bigger than the moon. It was believed until 1600 that the moon was bigger.
2. Job 25:5. Moon reflected
light. Until 1920, it was believed the moon had its own light.
3. Job 26:7. Earth suspended in
space.Only recently known and believed.
4. Job 26:7. Empty place in the
north sky. This was not found until many, many centuries later.
5. Isaiah 40:22. The earth is
said to be round. That verse was proved true 1,000 years later.
6. Jeremiah 33:22. It was not
known until 1600 that the stars could not be numbered.
7. 1 Corinthians 15:52. Day
and night can exist on the earth at the same time. This was confirmed when man
discovered the earth was round. Also see Luke 17:30‑36.
1. Genesis 2:7. Man's
composition comprises the same elements as common dust. Also see Genesis 3:19.
2. Genesis 3:20. All men came from the same DNA.
3. Genesis 6:3. Man's lifespan
not more than 120 years with the average age at 70 or 80 years; see Psalms 90:10.
4. Leviticus 13:46,57. Those with diseases should be quarantined.
5. Leviticus 17:11,14. Life of the flesh is in the blood. This was discovered in 1615.
6. Job 37:7. Uniqueness of man's hand, fingerprints. Recently found.
7. Proverbs 6:6. Only female ants are seen above ground.
8. Proverbs 30:28. Only the female spider is seen, and only she spins the web.
9. Ecclesiastes 7:13. Peanut, grape, and bean vines can't be made straight.
10. Jeremiah 17:11. Partridges use some eggs as a base as the eggs never all hatch.
11. Matthew 13:8,23,30,60,100.
Exactly how wheat seed yields grains. Also, see Mark 4:8,20.
1. 2 Samuel 22:16. Channels in the sea.
2. Job 26:7. Speaks of gravitation. (Holds earth in space.)
3. Job 26:8. Condensation.
4. Job 28:25. Air has weight (air pressure).
5. Job 38:16. There are springs in the seas.
6. Job 38:19‑20. Light travels.
7. Job 38:22. The uniqueness of snowflakes, only recently known.
8. Psalms 8:8; Isaiah 43:16. Ocean currents.
9. Ecclesiastes 1:6. Global wind circuits.
10. Ecclesiastes 1:7. Evaporation, hydrologic cycle. Recently known.
11. Hebrews 11:3. Things we see are made up of things we cannot see—atoms.
1. Leviticus 15:13. Running
water is more sanitary. This was not known until germs were discovered during the great plagues.
2. Job 38:35. Telephones possible.
3. Nahum 2:4. Possibility of autos.
4. Zechariah 14:1; 2 Peter 3:10. Atomic war possible.
5. Revelations 11:9. People all
over the world are able to watch something at the same time—satellite TV.
Archaeology continues to verify Biblical
names, places, and events. Over 5,000 places mentioned in the Bible have been found.
1. Genesis 4:21‑22. Early use of metals.
2. Genesis 6. Nine entire chapters
written to show that there was a worldwide flood. There is much evidence of that today.
3. Genesis 11:28‑31.
Speaks of the City of Ur. It was "discovered" in 1922.
4. Genesis 37:28. Ancient writings confirm that the price paid for Joseph is accurate.
5. Exodus 5:7‑19. Bricks without straw.
6. Joshua 2:15. Jericho ruins show double walls with houses straddling them.
7. Josh 6:20. The walls of Jericho did fall outward, as digs have verified.
8. 2 Samuel 5:6‑8
says that David conquered Jerusalem through the water system. That water system is there today.
9. 2 Kings 20:20; 2 Chronicles 32:3‑4.
Hezekiah's tunnel has been discovered running 1,700 feet through rock.
Bible Not Solely Faith-Based
The Bible, then, is not solely a faith-based
Book; it's a Book which is solidly in lockstep with current science. Amazing,
huh? The Bible has survived through ages of persecution and attacks by highly
educated critics. It defends well with portions of more than 24,000 manuscripts
around today, which is more proof of the events recorded than any other
document in history. The Bible has been translated into more languages than any
book and has had more influence on other literature than any other Book. Shakespeare
quoted from the Bible over 500 times.
To disapprove the historical authenticity of
the Bible we have today would be impossible. Many have tried.
If the Bible is a valid document, it would be
wise, then, that we pay attention to its main message. That main message is
that Jesus Christ is the Son of God who, the Bible claims, died and arose again
for the sins of the world.
Apart from what the Bible says, why should
anyone accept the proposition that Jesus Christ literally rose from the dead? Quite a feat, there!
1. Well, the rumors of this event must have had
the ruling Romans reeling. That raises the question: Why didn't Rome snuff
Christianity before it was launched? The Romans would have done that in a flash
if Christ's body was reposing behind a stone-closed tomb, guarded by grizzled soldiers. But the
once-dead Jesus had arisen and bailed out.
2. I read a book recently by a big-gun
California lawyer who made the very-true statement that no one in their right
mind will die for what they know is a lie. People will die for their country,
their family, etc., but not a bold-faced lie. Ten of the eleven original
apostles of Jesus Christ died horrible martyr's deaths because they would not
deny that they had seen the resurrected Jesus. Peter was crucified upside down.
The Bible speaks of a literal Heaven and a
literal Hell, which, the Book says, lasts forever.
The Bible is clear that we do not earn our way
to Heaven by trying to live a holy life, doing good deeds, being an active
church member, or by taking a pilgrimage. We are born with the sin DNA, and we
all do choose to commit sin. Lying, cursing, cheating on our taxes, etc., are sins.
We get to Heaven by receiving what Jesus
Christ has done for us. We must accept that we have sinned and believe what the
Bible states—that we are "saved" or "born again" (Bible
terms) solely through Christ, whose blood sacrifice covers all sin.
Check out this stunning John 3:36 verse:
"And all who trust him—God's
Son—to save them have eternal life; those who don't believe and obey him shall
never see heaven, but the wrath of God remains upon them."
So exactly what must we do to be saved?
Well, in private be honest with God with a prayer something like this:
I confess that I am a sinner and that I
need forgiveness. I am willing to turn from my sins. There is nothing that I
can do that will erase my sin and permit a relationship between a Holy God and
me. Your Word states that, "Without the shedding of blood, there is no remission of sins."
I believe that Jesus Christ, your Son,
is the promised Messiah and Savior. I believe that Jesus Christ is God,
"manifested in the flesh," who died a substitutionary death on The
Cross, shedding His own blood to atone for my sins. I believe Christ's
resurrection signifies Your own satisfaction with His sacrifice on my behalf.
Because your Word states that salvation
is available to all who repent and believe, I repent of my sins and believe on
The Lord Jesus Christ as the Son of God and Savior. I now, willingly, and
wholeheartedly, accept Jesus Christ as my personal Savior. I am entering into a
covenant relationship with Christ, sealed by the Holy Spirit, who now indwells
me. My name is recorded in the Lamb's Book of Life and Heaven is my future home.
As a born-again follower of Christ, I
make you Lord of all aspects of my life. "Thanks be unto God for His unspeakable gift."
In Jesus' Name, Amen.
Is that prayer in the Bible? No. But that
prayer packages together the necessary confession and belief elements that Jesus speaks about.
If you are unsure about your eternal destiny,
may I suggest you respond to the free offer of salvation through Jesus Christ now?
Thanks for your time.